American Fishing Tour
Mandatory Tournament Briefing
(Updated January 1, 2021)
NOTE: This briefing may change during the season as sponsors and programs may be added, modified, or deleted as applicable. Check the director’s page during the week of your tournament to ensure you have the current briefing for your event and download the briefing as necessary
MANDATORY BRIEFING – ON THE WATER
On behalf of Bass Pro Shops and American Bass Anglers, Inc. I want to welcome each of you to Division ______. My name is, and I will be your tournament director, those assisting me will be __________________________
Our next tournament in this division is on Lake____________________________________
launching from __________________________________ ramp on (date).
On behalf of Bass Pro Shops and American Bass Anglers, Inc. and our Sponsors who are:
• Bass Pro Shops – Your Adventure Start Here
• Triton Boats – We take America Fishing
• Mercury Marine - #1 on the Water – The leader in outboard technology and power
• Motor Guide Trolling Motors – The Digital Advantage
• Abu Garcia – Raw Power and Performance
• Berkley – From Rods to Baits to Line – Fishing Evolved
• T-H Marine – Your Boat Accessory Store
• Garmin – The Power of Simple – The clearest image technology on the water today
• Power Pole – Shallow Water Anchor system
• Lucas Oil – High Performance Products
• Monster Energy Drink – Not just a drink it is a lifestyle
• Engel Coolers – The Original Molded Cooler Manufacture
• Optima Batteries – The Ultimate Power Source
• REKS – Best sunglasses on the market.
• Hotel Planner – Best price on hotel rooms, go to the ABA web site
Supporting Sponsors are:
• The Boat House – Your Host Triton dealer (Mention Local Sponsors)
The AFT Championship – The Championship has guaranteed boat use, the Winner and Angler of the Year will receive a new Triton/Mercury package.
AOY Qualifications – Qualified Divisional AOY’s must have fished four one-day and one two-day championship. Starting with the 2020 season the number of divisional anglers competing at the National Championship for Angler of the Year will be going up. The number of anglers from each Division will increase according to the Divisions yearly average as outlined below.
• Div. yearly average below 20 – top Divisional points holder
• Div. yearly average of 20-29 – top two Divisional points holders
• Div. yearly average of 30-39 – top three Divisional points holders
• Div. yearly average of 40-49 – top four Divisional points holders
• Div. yearly average of over 50 – top five Divisional points holders
Sponsor Programs (Free Money): All Sponsor Programs and member discounts can be found on the ABA Members Only Web Page.
Before I continue, I need to know:
• Have you fished two or more tournaments in the past six months where the individual entry fee was $675 or more?
• Have you been a guide or guided on these tournament waters within the past 30 days?
(NOTE: If any angler answers yes, have them see you after the briefing – After briefing discuss with them to determine if they should be removed from the tournament.)
This is a safety and rules briefing and partner pairing.
If you have questions, please see me after the partner draw.
By signing the release form, you have acknowledged reading and accepting our tournament rules and ABA requirements. Therefore, I will only cover a few. (Note: Refer to the official rules and offer to provide them to each angler.)
There are entries in this tournament. This is/is not a maximum point’s tournament.
Total payout will be $ to places.
The big bass pot is $ _________ Option pot is $________ paid to places.
1. Life jackets must be worn Buckled, Zipped or Snapped anytime the combustion engine is in gear.
2. The safety-stop switch cord must be attached to your person or life jacket when the combustion engine is in gear.
3. All boats must have all US Coast Guard required equipment.
4. No overpowered boats, alcoholic beverages, or illegal drugs in the boat at any time.
5. Fishing in an open cockpit boat is inherently dangerous and extreme caution should be exercised while on the water. Remember – SPEED is the number one cause of accidents.
This is a big-water lake and the wind and boat traffic can be treacherous. Be careful and do not take any chances. I want all of you to return safely.
6. In the event you have an emergency, and/or you leave early you must notify the director prior to leaving to prevent us looking for you on the water and to insure you get your show points. (Leave a note on director’s vehicle or tell another contestant that you have left early)
1. By signing the Liability Release you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with the American Fishing Tour Rules. I have copies if you need one.
2. There is/is no off-limits area for this tournament. Note: If additional off-limit area(s) be specific as to the explanation of affected area(s)
3. All boaters must have in their position proof of liability insurance with a minimum of $100,000. If you do not have insurance and I check you will be disqualified.
4. If late for send-off or check-in, you will be penalized 1 pound per minute up to 15 minutes, then disqualified.
5. You will be penalized .5 pound or eight (8) ounces for a dead fish and 1 pound for a short fish.
6. Tournament limit is 5 Fish inches, as measured on a flat board. Culling must be done immediately upon catching a 6th fish. At no time can you have more than the 5-fish limit in your live-well. CULLING OF DEAD FISH IS PROHIBITED
7. I will have a courtesy board set up for your use if you desire. Once you give me the fish, they are mine.
8. For non-boaters – discuss fishing locations with your partner and the sharing of expenses for gas. It is recommended that non-boaters pay ½ of the cost of gas incurred for the day. If you have a problem with either of these, see me and I will settle any problems. Boater’s do not try to gouge your partner and Non-boaters do not skip out and not pay your share.
9. The official time is .
1. Boat inspection will be on the water during send-off. As I call off your launch number have your life jackets on and idle by the start boat with your live-wells open and aerators pumping water.
2. As you idle by the start boat, I will ask you to pull your safety stop switch.
The OFFICIAL TIME is:
There will be flights of boats.
Flight 1Boats Check-in, ___________________
Flight 2Boats Check-in, ___________________
The start and check-in boat/person will be located at . At this time, we will draw for partners.
American Fishing Tour - Latest News
Mark Watkins wins D6 Two Day and AOY
ATHENS, Al. – Mark Watkins won the two day shortened Bass Pro American Fishing Tour presented by American Bass Anglers, Connecticut Division 6 tournament, held on Lake Lillinonah. Mark only caught three largemouth for 11.13 pounds, but they were the right ones. With that win Mark also became the Division 6 Angler of the Year for the second year in a row. For the victory he took home $674.00 in cash.
Whitehead Takes Win at Weiss Lake
ATHENS, Ala. – Jason Whitehead win’s the 2021 Bass Pro Shop Open Series North Alabama Division Tournament, held May 22nd on Weiss Lake. We had 41 boaters with 27 co-anglers for the third stop of the season. Running out of Leesburg Landing in Leesburg Al.
Team Tour Championship Postponed
Out of an overabundance of caution The Team Tour Championship that was scheduled for 10/10-11/2020 on Wheeler Lake has be postponed. The National Weather Service is forecasting winds of 10-20 mph with gust up to 35mph for Saturday, and winds of 10-15 mph with gust up to 20 mph Sunday. The safety of our anglers is the number on concern and factor when making the tough decisions on postponing a tournament. The new dates for the Team Tour Championship will be November 21-22 on Wheeler Lak